Act structure

March 31, 2010 in Painter Story by Chris Charabaruk

Progress is still progressing on the script. While there are a couple of troublesome scenes that need some serious work before they’re even badly written, a lot of what’s left to do for the first three days doesn’t look all that tough right now. Days 1 and 2 are practically done (apart from the aforementioned scenes), and I find myself writing the ending scenes of day 3 right now, and leaving about half of the rest of the work to my partner in crime zahlman.

Because the plan is to put out a story demo to attract interest in people who could help us with art and audio, and then later put out a real demo showing off the first three days, these end-of-day scenes for day 3 have to be a logical conclusion to the previous ones. I’ve taken to thinking of the prologue and days 1-3 as the first act, with the end of day three serving as the climax of the act.

Chances are that I’ll be making an act two out of days 4-6, and turn day 7 and the epilogue into its own act as well. I already have something in mind to serve as the climax for each of those points. Act three, as it were, won’t be that traditional, though, being mostly climax followed by coda. Still, it’s easier to think of the story this way, at least for me. Mind, I’ve not actually started plotting out the rest of the script in detail yet. That won’t happen until zahl and I are done writing the first draft for act one. (And even then, there’ll probably be a break to recruit/kidnap artists.)

Speaking of artists, we’re still planning to start looking for people at the beginning of April (which is what, tomorrow?) and seeing what people can and will contribute. I’ll have more details on that in a post tomorrow or on the weekend, but if you’re an artist and interested in helping out, doesn’t hurt to draw some concept art of the girls and post links to it in the comments. Just sayin’.

Character mockups

March 29, 2010 in Painter Story by Chris Charabaruk

Thanks to the Katawa Shoujo IRC channel, I found an interesting little character maker program on DeviantArt. I decided to whip up some art of the three girls whom the protagonist can pursue in the VN with it, and share the results with you.

Keep in mind that nothing you see here is final, but it certainly gives a better idea of what I would like to see than the current loltemp sprites.

You can play around with the character maker yourself. The tool used is Create a Character, by dA user ~Crysa.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Progress report

March 15, 2010 in Painter Story by Chris Charabaruk

It’s been about three weeks since the initial blog post about Painter Story, and I’d like to share a couple things about our visual novel. Progress is going slower than I hoped for in terms of writing, but it’s still moving along well. I’m still working towards the goal of days one to three drafted by the end of March, although it’ll probably slip some. However, save for three tricky scenes, the first draft script of the first two days is done.

To make it easier to get a feel for what’s happening, I’m not writing in plain text and then copying over to Ren’Py. I started that way, but I find it’s easier to think in Ren’Py’s scripting language and write for that directly. It also has an added bonus of letting me test scenes as I write them out. The fact that Karl (my programmer/editor) and I wrote out a scene library (like Katawa Shoujo has, but not as pretty) certainly helps, as now I can go straight to the scene I’m writing, to test it out.

Whether or not I make my writing goal, we’ll start looking for artists in April, who can help us flesh out the graphical side of things. I might put out a low-distribution alpha of Painter Story when the draft is done through day 3, to help garner developer interest too.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]